Tuesday, November 13, 2007

English Language


The best classroom to learn a language is mother’s lap as the connoisseurs say. In that warm , secure place a child will learn anything, and very quickly, too. Next best they say –an improvement , they think after puberty – is the lap of someone we are sexually involved with.
In my case my mother the only language ever taught to me was Greek.The English language came later in my ears through the film movies like James Bond and television series Simon Templar,the Saint. And ofcourse I realised straight away that I knew English. Give me subtitles and I give you basic language comprehension. The next step was a series of lessons with Greek-Greek teachers, American-Greek, Australian-Greek British-British and American-American...etc. So when I moved to England from the sophisticated metropolis- Athens to the English suburbia, I foresaw no problem that I could not understand some of the inhabitants nor they understood me.. I knew this noncommunication was related to underdevelopment. Obviously not mine! So I moved to the next step as the connoisseurs advise. I found Johnny. But again there we are, I thought I found a man with a permanent teeth problem, he was speaking like he had a recent injection in his lips. It was not me again but his Oxford accent the fault!
Speaking- as opposed to understanding-English was almost the same. What came out of my mouth and reached my ear was perfect English. That’s how it sounded to me. What an auditory hallucination!!!

13 comments:

ritsmas said...

Μάλωσες τον Τζόνι ή μου φάνηκε ;
Μου ηρεσε η περιγραφή της άφιξης στου στα σωστά αγγλικά.
ριτς, αρτι επιστρεψασα οικαδε.

Я верю в Сталина said...

"is the lap of someone we are sexually involved with."

By far the best way to learn... As long as you are good in ... linguistics.
And by the way my dear... Skip the auditory hallucinations, you' re waking up the shrink in me...

Я верю в Сталина said...

Oh! I think you should check your time here...

ritsmas said...

Πηνελόπηηηηηη !!!!

Penelope said...

@Ritsmas, Dimosthenis calm down both of you now....!!!

Penelope said...

Και Ρίτς ... χμ είμαι καλύτερη από τη Cruz !!! με αυτά τα μισόλογα στο Νατασσάκι ξέρεις εσυ!

Я верю в Сталина said...

Επιμένω ότι η ώρα στα σχόλιά σου, έχει βαρέσει μπιέλα...Remember Μπιέλα;

Penelope said...

@Dimostheni ναι το βλέπω έχω τώρα τελευταία κάποια προβλήματα με το laptop mou την καλημέρα μου

Я верю в Сталина said...

Καλησπέρα! Μετακόμισα! Άνοιξα το δικό μου σπίτι... www.questionidifeeling.com

So_Far said...

Ε, αυτό με την προφορά είναι μεγάλο κεφάλαιο..
στη Σκωτία κόντεψα να ξεχάσω τα Αγγλικά που ήξερα
στο Λονδίνο με την cockney πίστεψα ότι δεν ξέρω να μιλάω
Ευτυχώς που υπήρχε το BBC !!!
Τώρα πια τουλάχιστον δεν αγχώνομαι..
Αλλά ξέρεις όσο μεγαλώνω ακόμα και στην Ελλάδα δεν μπορώ να παρακολουθήσω τόσο εύκολα τις ντοπιολαλιές.. παρόλο που καταλαβαίνω αρκετά..

Θα συμφωνήσω για το πώς μαθαίνεται μια γλώσσα και θα προσθέσω και το κεφάλαιο "δρόμοι" .. street language !!!

Penelope said...

@So far ακόμα την μαθαίνω τη γλώσσα είμαι ακόμα στο process και δεν θα τελειώσει ποτέ νομίζω όπως και με τα ελληνικά!

Я верю в Сталина said...

Μα υπήρχε περίπτωση να μην τα κατφέρω τελικά;;;;;;;;;;;; Χεχεχεχεχεχεχεεεεεε... Είμαι καλός και με καινούριο ντηζάιν...

ritsmas said...

Penelope ο Δημοσθένης εχει γραψει ενα καταθλιπτικό ποστ, αυτοκτονικό και μας χαιρετάει... εχει κλεισει τα σχολια
δεν ξερω τι γίνεται
ριτς